Old Fashioned Cornbread
A few tweaks to my grandfathers old recipe to turn his delicious cornbread vegan.
1 cup Cornmeal
3/4 cup Flour
1 Flax Egg = 1 tablespoon Flax Meal + 3 tablespoon water
4 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
1/4 cup Oil or vegan butter melted
1 cup plant-based milk
1/4 cup sucanat or coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix the dry ingredients together with a whisk.
(Cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.)
- Mix the flax egg.
(1 tablespoon flax meal with 3 tablespoon water in small bowl.)
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix with large spoon.
(Melted butter or oil, plant-based milk, and flax egg.)
- Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into a silicone or parchment paper lined 8×8 baking dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until fork comes out clean.
- If you are using a larger pan adjust your cooking time accordingly.
- Do not use a sweetened or flavored plant-based milk.